NCSportbikes.com

NCS • View topic - rc51 leaking gas tank
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rc51 leaking gas tank
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:14 pm 

So after Thursdays ride, I had a very strong gas odor coming from my rc51. After letting it sit in the garage to cool off, I went back to check it over and found the source of the smell .... the tank is leaking at the rear where the pivot mount is on the bottom of the tank. I have done some checking around and it appears that this is a know issue for the 00' model. It is also said that Honda may replace the tank, but from what I have read online, it is a hit or miss situation depending on the dealership. This is not an official recall by honda, but they are aware of the problem.

Anyways, whoever owned it before me tried to JB weld it or something, but it is not holding up. Any suggestions on sealing the tank if Honda won't come through for me???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:18 pm 

Bike: Pedal Powered!
There's a couple products on the market that will likely fix your problem. The one *I* am familiar with is called "Kreme" and available at most any dealership, and Cycle Gear.

It's a product that cleans, and coats the tank. For it to work properly, you have to follow the directions EXACTLY. Skip a step, or get in a rush, and it'll fuck the entire deal up, and you won't get the shit back out.

If you don't want to do it yourself, I'll gladly do it for you at the cost of the product, plus around $60 - $75 for labor. :) You'd have to leave the tank with me for a couple days though...

600's are for sissies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:18 pm 

Bike: Eurotrash
Hey John. I am going through the exact same problem with my Ducati. As far as I am concerned it is a design flaw with the Monster series with metal tanks. The hinge is not properly reinforced and develops a leak over time. I have read alot abot it and am currently in the process of making repairs. I used POR-15 that is supposed to do the trick. I've heard of Kreme also but have heard various results.
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:25 pm 

Blackout wrote:
I used POR-15 that is supposed to do the trick. I've heard of Kreme also but have heard various results.
Good luck.

POR-15 is the other product I've heard of, and heard nothing but good things about it.

I've also heard bad things about Kreme, but... In 2 of the 3 or 4 cases I've heard of the problems, the users admitted to either not following the directions, or not reading them at all. I've personally used it on 3 different tanks. 2 of them leaked to begin with, and the 3rd had a lot of rust in it. All 3 tanks have never had any problems, and they were done 2 to 3 years ago.

600's are for sissies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:24 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I have a friend that has used the Kreme product and swears by it. He used it after using every other thing he could think of. Once he used it...no more problems, EVER.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:52 am 
Contributor
Contributor

i have used Kreme on so many tanks (20 or more). follow the directions exactly and it works every time with no problems. its tedious, messy and you may get high.

It's all about The PACE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:56 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Bike: 2008 Husqvarna SM610
Definitely spend some time with the dealership and get Honda to make it right. This was a known defect and they should make it right. Most people at rc51.org indicate that Honda will replace it if your ask nicely. Two items of note: I think regardless of vehicle age it MUST be warrantied under Federal Law for 50,000 miles as it is part of the emissions system. This is a quality issue for Honda & a very serious one at that. The liability they would incur for fuel dripping out of the tank onto the rear header is way more than they want to deal with. Have the service manager at whatever dealership you take it to call Honda directly.
However, there are some posts on rc51.org that tell how to fix it yourself if you want. Some aircraft tank sealer localized at the leaking area should get it done. I would recommend a localized fix over Kreme which would cover the entire tank and is not necessary. Not a big fan of Kreme in this case where the fuel pump is inside the tank. It can be done, but I wouldn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:03 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

rc51 is wise...good call rc...kreme works but can be a headache

It's all about The PACE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:33 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Not as big a headache as a leaking gas tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:38 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

word hoolgn. if the rc51 guys have a good way of dealing with it then i am in no position to argue with them. the localized fix sounds good to me and i def. think he needs to go to the dealer and raise a brow if they deny you svjohn. but i could kreme that tank no problems at all.

It's all about The PACE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:00 pm 

Just an update, I temporarily fixed the leak with some JB weld just to keep it from pouring out all over my garage, but it is not a permanent fix. With the Kreme, do I have to remove the fuel pump too? I am going to go ride today and empty out as much of the gas as I can before I remove the tank again. Just want to fix this so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:08 pm 

Fuel pump definately needs to be removed.

And like was said earlier, make sure you follow the directions of the product, to the T.

600's are for sissies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:18 pm 

Thanks man, going to tackle this probably Monday night or something. If anyone wants to lend a hand, I'll have beers and food around. No big deal doing it by myself, but an extra hand is always appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:07 pm 

Update: so after many weeks of trying temp fixes I finally pulled the tank Friday and bought some Kreem to fix the problem. Just got the bike all back together and filled the tank. She runs like normal and I have no gas smell coming from the tank at this time. As it looks now the Kreem liner worked and fixed my problem. I am going to take it for a test ride and then let it sit overnight to see if any slow leaks appear, but I think the issue has been resolved. Thanks to everyone who gave me direction and input ... NCS rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:50 am 
Contributor
Contributor

sounds good man. good job with the kreme it is a tedious job.

It's all about The PACE